|Stare Drawsko||| Drukuj ||
Stare Drawsko is situated on a pass between Drawsko and Zerdno (called also Srebrne) Lakes. In the past, the most of inhabitants of the village were fishermen and farmers. Now, the perfect location of the village, which is laid between two lovely lakes, near the 175 Walcz - Kolobrzeg road, attracts hundreds of tourists, especially in the summer.
Beautiful grassy and sandy beaches stretch along the lakesides. In Stare Drawsko there are many facilities available for tourists such as recreation center, camp-site and agrotouristic farms. Renting a summerhouse or finding an accommodation in a private house is not a problem.
During a stay in Stare Drawsko, it is essential to visit one of the local restaurants where smoked white european fish, eel and pike are served. What is more, we can take part in a canoeing trip on Drawa River or explore a nearby Bielawa Island.
For over a thousand years, from the VII up to the half of the XVIII century, Drahim (that is a Slavic name of the village) played a role of political, administrative and military center, superior even to Czaplinek. In the history, this place acted as a Slavic town, joannic commandery, Polish starosty of Drahim and Brandenburgish domain. The year 1759 was the end of its glory because the Russian army burned the castle.
The greatest attractions of Stare Drawsko, mostly appreciated by many tourists, are Drawsko and Zerdno Lakes with their crystal clear water and sandy beaches. Other places worth seeing are a castle and a church. We can do the sightseeing during foot or bike trips. What is more, the beautiful panorama from a high tower on the top of Spyczyna Mountain will never be forgotten. On the mountain, it is possible to make a picnic and a bonfire.
The tower can be reached on foot, on horseback, on bicycle or in a car. To the view-point leads a dirt road were cars are not allowed - vehicles can be left at a car-park in Zerdno.
Drahim's Castle Many tourists visiting Stare Drawsko are surprised by the ruins of the castle. Hardly anyone knows that this castle for hundreds of years was the seat of Polish mayors in Drahim. Czaplinek and Drahim were the northern boundaries of historic Wielkopolska region with Nowa Marchia, Zachodniopomorskie Duchy and Teutonic Order in neighborhood.
It is highly probable, that to the end of the VII century the ground under today's castle used to be an island (or peninsula) on Drawsko Lake and present Zerdno Lake used to be a bay. The defensive values of this land were firstly noticed and appreciated by Slovians who built here a wooden settlement - the main political, administrative and military center of Drawian tribe. In the half of the XII century, the settlement was burnt probably by the army of Boleslaw Krzywousty. Later, for 200 years the place was empty but when in the middle of the XIV century the Drahim property was taken over from Templars; the new owners - Joannites chose this place again for their castle. The ruins of the burned settlement were raised and formed in a quadrangle. Huge boulders reinforced the foundations. From the southern side of the castle the deep moat was dug. The baileys of the new castle were tremendous - about 2, 5 thick and 12 m high. Along the edges of the walls, on their inner side, wooden galleries were constructed. The massive, two-winged doors, opening towards Drawsko Lake, were guarding the entry of the courtyard. From the opposite side of the castle, there was a small gate, which acted as a mean of communication during siege or unsuspected trips. On the north from the castle, behind the Drawa River there was a farm, which supplied the castle in food. The water was obtained from the well in the castle. For 400 years, the building played a political role and although it was captured for a few times, it was always rebuilt. Finally, it was left in 1759. There was a battle, where 20 soldiers in command of colonel Cosel were defending themselves in the castle. They lost and the castle was burned by Russians. After that, Prussians, who were the owners of Drahim, did not rebuild the castle.
Now, the ruins of the castle, with 9 m high, nicked walls remind us of the past magnificence of this place. In our imagination we can hear the voices of soldiers, neigh of horses and rumble of war cannons. Outside the ruins, it is possible to notice the signs of the castle's historical doors and a narrow gate. Inside we can see, taking 1/3 of the courtyard, the outline of the wall which used to be "pallatium" - inhabited part of the castle. The smart observer can also find here an outline of dungeon, used during joannic period as a mint, where Polish, Pomeranian, Brandenburg's and Teutonic coins were forged.
At present, the castle is a private property. Knight's tournaments, feasts, concerts and medieval military equipment exhibitions are main attractions of the castle. For more information we recommend a site www.drahim.pl.
Neo - gothic church
On the north from the castle, we can admire a church built in 1870 (or 1910 according to other sources). It is known, that this temple was made of stones and bricks, taken from the castle's demolition. On the top of the church, there are pseudo gothic diaphragms and pinnacles. The pentagonal chancel with its buttress is the main characteristic trait of the church.
Near the church, there is a monument which reminds us about the fact that a priest Karol Wojtyla (present Pope John Paul II) took part in many canoeing trips on Drawa River (the canoeing track on Drawa River is called by his name).
The old settlement
The old settlement is situated on a distinct, afforested hill, 1,5 km away from a town, in the direction of Czaplinek. We can identify the outline of ramparts, with a crosswise rampart and a moat. The settlement has a shape of a ring. It is very broad - 190 x 220 meters. Probably in the past, it acted as an additional military support for smaller but much more important settlement in Stare Drawsko (area of the present castle).
|Zmieniony ( 09.02.2007. )|
|następny artykuł »|